Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jury Duty

I did my civic duty and went downtown for jury duty today. The day started off bad!! As I was leaving the house I noticed that one of my neighbors had a window knocked out of their vehicle. I went to let them know and found out the nurse that helps the child at their house had left her purse in the car when she got there this morning and it was gone. I felt bad for her but you should know not to leave valuables in plain sight. After talking to her for a few minutes and thawing out my car, I hit the road to head downtown. One quick stop at Starbucks for my favorite Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and I was officially on my way. The minute I got on the highway the traffic stopped. People were still freaked out that their were tiny patches of ice (mostly on the shoulder or under bridges) and were crawling all the way!!! I left at 7:30 from Starbucks and needed to be in the courthouse at 8:30. That means one hour!!!! At 8:20 I was finally at the exit and still needed to park. So much for the free parking and shuttle. I found a parking garage and ended up paying $10 just for parking. I went in sat down and started grading papers until the Bailiff came in to swear us in and explain our duties for the day. Then they called the first group to go up to a courtroom and of course I was called in the group. We get upstairs and spend one hour waiting in the hall outside of the courtroom only to be told we are being moved down the hall to another room. They then bring us in and have us go through voire dair. This takes another hour then they send us out in the hall to make the jury selection. Once again more standing around and waiting. They call us in and dismiss all but 6. I am not one that was picked and am relieved since I haven't been at school in a week due to class, the ice storm, and jury duty. I go down pick up my check of $6!! Woo Hoo I can party it up with that money!! and head for the house. At least it gave me time this afternoon to get my first assignment done for class and turned in more than 24 hours ahead of schedule. Tomorrow I return to school and all of the fun that entails.

No comments: